Wednesday 5 March 2014

Goodbye facebook...its been nice

Alright. Folks. Here we go.

So I have been thinking about, and praying about what to give up for lent this year. Usually I give up chocolate or desserts. You know yummy things. Partially because the last two years Ive been trying to lose pregnancy weight at that point and because its kind of a sacrifice. I enjoy these things for sure. This year I decided that really, yummy food isn't the biggest sacrifice I could make.

Facebook.

I am on it way too much. It distracts from my children, husband and God too. I mean really there are things I read on facebook that send me into a flying rage, and not for good reasons. Sometimes because I am indignant over in justices but sometimes because things people say that just really frustrate and upset me. So I have decided that aside from a once a week check ( sundays....being the off days) will be all I do.

Pray for me because this will be difficult. I do a lot of communicating through facebook.

Not only will I be giving up facebook, but because of that, I will giving up on some of my coupon opportunities. I started couponing earlier in 2013. I really enjoy it. At one point I realized though that I was actually trusting the coupons more to save us money than trusting God to provide for us. Sounds silly? Well we all have something right? :) Anyway, I am mostly beyond that though lately God has been teaching me more and more to trust Him more and more with everything. So the past week or two as I have been wondering what to give up, facebook kept popping up in my mind. Its a greater sacrifice than chocolate.

Why am I participating in lent? Traditionally this has been a catholic tradition and I am not catholic.
The truth is that many christians participate in lent now. One description (im sure it varies)is as follows:

Lent is a time when many Christians prepare for Easter by observing a period of fasting,repentance, moderation and spiritual discipline. The purpose is to set aside time for reflection on Jesus Christ - his suffering and his sacrifice, his life, death, burial and resurrection.

Now while I don't believe that participating in lent is in anyway a means of obtaining some kind of special observance by God that has anything to do with my salvation or standing with God, I think this is an excellent opportunity to throw off things that hinder our relationship and developing intimacy with our saviour. This is why I choose to observe it. This year I feel prompted to be more intentional about giving up something difficult. Example : God has called me, at this time in my life, to primarily be a wife and mom ( NOT ditching my career, but at this point FB doesnt interfere with that). So when I could be spending time pouring into my babies' lives and my husband's life but am wasting chunks of time on my phone facebooking for whatever reason, im neglecting, in a sense that calling.
Now friends don't get all up in arms. Facebook isnt evil. I am just spending way too much time on it. So really, why shouldn't a follower or Jesus, regardless of denomination embrace Lent if they so choose?


Today would have been my grandpa's 95th birthday. I can't believe that it has been 6 years since he passed away. I miss him, and my grandmother very much.

Then the children choose to both wake up at the same time shrieking.

The end...you may see me more often for the next few weeks.



No comments:

Post a Comment